Save Ireland's Seabirds
Ireland’s seabirds are threatened and urgently need your help. We are home to some of the most important seabird colonies in the world, but these are coming under increasing pressure and need proper protection. Help us to secure a future for Ireland’s seabirds before it’s too late.
Threats to our Seabirds
Irish seabirds have one thing in common: they are in trouble. Sea pollution, overfishing, climate change and a host of other threats have made their lives ever more difficult. Human disturbance has hit them hard too, and some colonies are now also overrun with mink and rats which eat the birds’ eggs and chicks; this could be the final straw.
What we’ll be doing
BirdWatch Ireland has been at the forefront of protecting and monitoring our seabirds for the last 45 years. Our work has ensured the recovery of the national Roseate Tern population at colonies in the Irish Sea, Gannets are thriving on the BirdWatch Ireland reserve of Little Skellig, and Little Terns are being protected from disturbance on the Wicklow Coast. To continue and expand this important work, we need your help….
Your donation will directly fund projects that will help us:
- To have more wardens on the ground to protect important colonies.
- To remove the rats, mink and other non-native predators that prey on the chicks.
- To carry out much needed research and monitoring, to learn more of how our seabirds live, where they go to feed and how well they are coping with the unprecedented changes to the marine environment.
- To actively lobby for seabird protection at sea
How your donation will help
- €5 will help pay for materials to build a Roseate Tern nest-box
- €20 will buy an electric fence battery to help protect Little Tern colonies
- €50 will buy a GPS tag for seabird research and monitoring
- €250 will help charter a boat to take staff and volunteers to the Roseate Tern colony on Rockabill
- €1,000 will pay for an expedition to survey threatened seabirds on remote west coast islands
Thank you for your support.
Appeal Target: €5,000 and beyond
You can also donate by:
Post: Donations by cheque, please make payable to BirdWatch Ireland and send to: Save Ireland's Seabirds Appeal, BirdWatch Ireland, Unit 20, Block D, Bullford Business Campus, Kilcoole, Greystones Co. Wicklow.